Tuesday, April 26, 2011

On Chasing Dreams

When I am done chasing everyone's dreams that I think are mine, will I chase mine?

Privileged are those who know what they want but blessed are those who know what they want and never had to rethink that. If I were to ask what is it that one wants from life or career, most of us will have an answer ready - money, fame, luxury and so on. Are we not limiting ourselves? There is so much more that we can get! Some of us will shy away, not sure if their dreams are worth sharing and important, some have never thought about it because there was always someone else who did the thinking and some only have a vague memory of where they had started. And yet when the so-often-asked question "Where do you see yourself 10 years from now" comes, we all have an answer.
A very similar answer. I sometimes wonder why even bother to ask when you know so well that we don't know and probably most of us don't care. Most of all, spare all the effort and read just one answer! Or may be they already do that. What is funny and probably interesting too is that in many ways we are taught to answer this question. No not the HOW to answer but the WHAT to answer. What to dream and what not to. It never comes from within us. Its someone else (doesn't really matter who) speaking through us. So are we mere mediums? We are so scared to express our dreams that somewhere we even stop thinking about them. What are we scared of? Failing, offending someone or making a fool of ourselves? Or may be dreaming.

Before you jump into conclusions, let me tell you I am not complaining. Unlike most of the people of my generation, I was given the chance to choose my dream. I will not say I chose wrongly because wrong and right are subjective. I do not regret because this is what I had wanted at that time. I could have chosen something else and then it could have been different. But I chose this because I thought this was my dream. May be it was not. Then what was? Now that is exactly the question where I stumble. I admire those who recognized their dreams and followed them, I am sorry for those who knew what their dreams were but did not follow them. But for people like me who misled themselves into believing what their dreams were, I have nothing to say. May be it is not too late for you to find your dream and chase it. But how will you know it is yours and not a borrowed dream. So I think that when I have exhausted all the borrowed dreams, may be I will come across mine, somewhere hidden in a dark corner. And although I do not regret leaving my footprints in all those places where I was not to be, I do wonder if at that time, I will have the strength to chase another dream and reach a place where I am supposed to be.

2 comments:

Pranav said...

This is an awesome post. And I am not flattering you. You know, I feel the same way about MBA now. Maybe it was a borrowed dream and I never realized it. I thought it was my dream. I dunno what is my dream. Nothing seems to fit completely, and I feel lost.

Anki said...

Thanks Pranav. I am sure, there are a a lot of people struggling in the same way and I hope, we all find our own dreams.

Just another year

This is my second new year after I shifted back here. Last time went in a blur. I sat in a corner, remembered the last new year and cried. ...